Simple guacamole recipe ahead...
Soooo sure, I deleted the first part of this video, but the show must go on right?
If you love guacamole and either don't want to make it or don't think you have the time to make it (you do, especially if you have a party and delegate chopping cilantro), watch this:
As you can see, I go by taste mainly so take this as a loose guideline. Try, taste, see what you like, and yep, taste again. I didn't receive a written recipe from my Dad so I just took his word for it and played a bit. Here are the measurements that work best for me:
- 5-6 ripe avocados (here's my trick to finding the best avocados)
- 1 small white onion
- 1 bunch cilantro (I remove the stems)
- 1/4 finely chopped serrano pepper
- 1/4 jalapeno pepper if you're into that sort of thing
- 1/4 cup salsa (Dad swears by Pace Medium Thick and Chunky, I like it too; sometimes I'll use fresh pico de gallo. You can also substitute 2-3 chopped roma tomatoes here too)
- juice of 1 lime
- salt to taste
See how to mix this up in the video. Basically, you pop it all into a bowl and lightly stir (make sure you don't overwork the avocados).
*You can find that handy little onion storage container here. It's amazing.
**The chopping is pretty intense on this recipe. If you're in the market for a good chef's knife, here's one that makes the cut, get it? Omg I can't help myself.
How to make your own tortilla chips:
- Cut corn tortillas (thinner the better) into quarters, i.e. make them look like chips, yah
- Lay them out on a sheet pan (I line mine with aluminum foil for easy clean up)
- Spray them with an olive oil spray. I use this
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees
- Take them out of the over (ohhhh smell that goodness) and sprinkle with sea salt
- Optional: squeeze a little more lime juice on there
Boom, done! There you have it, my Dad's guac which is now my guac, which um, is now your quac if you choose to make it. Give it a shot and let me know how it goes...
And if you need more information on how to buy and store avocados, check this out.