It's time to shake it up again. The theme of the week is TRENCH COATS. Check out 6 ways to wear this outerwear classic and try them out using what you already have in your closet.
- trench coat (lightweight)
- basic gray crewneck tee
- skinny belt
- skinny distressed jeans
- butterscotch brown pumps
- dark blue shoulder bag
- It's so easy to get stuck in the trap of trying to pull off a trend when sometimes, just a few well-fitting basics can make something even better than that fashion-forward outfit you've been trying to piece together.
- Apples: hit up a v-neck for the shirt.
- Pears: try a darker wash on the denim and avoid any random tears or holes above the knee.
- A flare-leg would also look fabulous here.
- Layer a few necklaces in there, pendant necklaces or just metallic layering picks. Or add some edge with an ear cuff/stud.
- classic double breasted trench
- gingham button-front shirt
- skinny black jeans or leggings with some weight to the fabric
- everyday black ankle boot
- slouchy black shoulder bag
- black frame glasses
- hair up in a loose bun
- The gingham adds some great interest here and is a huge trend for spring so jump on it.
- A skinny jean also works, or a black pencil skirt and ankle boot (or pump if you want to elongate).
- If you want to move it to runway-inspired: take a neutral scarf, throw it around your neck so it runs along the lapels of the trench coat, and cinch in all the layers with a skinny belt.
- A few bracelets or one strong woven leather cuff wouldn't hurt either.
- If you opt for an earring, keep it simple.
- You could also pop a color with the bag incase you're over black. Coral, pale pink or blue, they all work here.
- gray wide-lapel lightweight trench coat
- white flowy top/shell
- white skinny jean
- nude pump
- white clutch
- I love the idea of layering a lightweight gray trench over an all white outfit. It looks polished but also adds some much-needed contrast.
- I'd switch up the shoe option. Go with a gray sandal instead. The off-white back to a bright-white isn't cutting it for me. A black d'orsay pump would also work.
- For day, that bag will need to grow in size, so go with something in a shoulder or cross-body silhouette that's covered in a soft pastel hue or bold print (fringe is an option).
- Rings, a bracelet, or an earring; something could definitely be added to liven things up a bit. Pick one and you're done.
- contrast trim trench coat
- wide brim hat
- box clutch
- This look shows you how you can get away with almost anything under a trench and still look pulled together. The accessories and outerwear make this look.
- A jersey dress or even tank and black evening shorts could work underneath. It really could be anything with a short hem.
- This look still applies if you have skinny jeans and a tank.
- Apples: that lapel is going to add a little too much bulk to your top half. Go with something that's a bit more streamlined here.
- Go with a pump, sandal, or ankle boot for the shoe. You've got options.
- black trench coat
- colorful scarf
- black belt
- skinny dark wash jean
- cat-eye sunglasses
- This is what I was referring to when I mentioned the cinched scarf look earlier.
- Apples: avoid this style situation regarding the bold scarf print. You can pull off the look if you choose a solid scarf color that has some embellishment at the hem so it brings the eye below the belt. Make sure the hem of the scarf falls away from the body.
- It's important that you go with a flexible, soft and somewhat lightweight scarf on this or else you add a bunch of bulk where most of us don't want to. The belt helps though.
- Love this with a black pencil skirt and classic pump.
- lightweight trench coat
- striped tee
- distressed skinny jean
- handheld or cross-body satchel
- cat-eye frame sunglasses
- animal print calf hair pumps
- statement ring
- This look slightly mirrors the first look. It's just another take on a more casual trench coat look, but those pumps elevate things instantly.
- You could also opt for a flat here to keep it casual.
- Pears: go with a solid dark wash on the skinny jean or go with a flare leg jean.
- Throw some color in there with a bright marsala wide leg pant. Why not? Switch things up...
inhale, exhale, read the quote. it's a goodie.
cue-style with a soul:
Check out all of the Weekly Shake styling posts: