HIPSTERS TAKE HEED: The skinny leg is on its way out. Sure, it may take five years to cycle out of fashion trends fully, and sure, it may never be accepted by the real skinny jean loyalists (I'm looking at you San Francisco) out there, but you should know that it's time to reconsider your pant situation. Widen (pun, intended) your fashion perspective.
Wide leg pants (denim or otherwise) are coming back into the trend mix (thanks to 70s' boho vibes seen all over the runways for Spring) and I personally could not be happier about it.
Comfortable, chic, polished, easy, the wide leg pant is a good thing. See a few outfits to inspire your next wide leg pant wardrobe move:
- taupe cold-shoulder silk button-front shirt
- high-waisted, poppy/red wide leg pant
- chunky gold chain necklace
- neutral heel
- black frame sunglasses & a top knot
- The pop color back to a neutral via this combination fitted separates that still offer coverage is beyond polished. It's an easy way to bring a super-bright color into any look without going overboard.
- Pear shapes: go with a darker, solid, possibly jewel-toned (rich burgundy, emerald green, or deep purple) hue on the pant. The wider leg that falls away from the body at the ankle will help to balance out proportions. Also, get dramatic with the neckline whether it's through a bold collar or more necklaces.
- A white or heather grey tee also works here if you want to get casual with it.
- Wear this look for day: incorporate a black tote and a blouse that isn't cut-out at the shoulder. Easy.
- Wear it for evening: bring in a box clutch and you're good to go.
- button-front top
- egg shell/neutral wide leg, cuffed pant
- pop color lip
- you can't see the shoe, let's just stick with something neutral or...
- Add a shot of color with a coral or cobalt sandal.
- A pendant necklace (huge for spring) would work perfectly here.
- For the bag, to keep it daytime (button up a bit), go with a caramel/butterscotch brown leather bucket bag. Done and done.
- Hourglass body types: make sure you don't have too much fabric gathering where you tuck (half-tuck) at the waist. You want to show your narrowest part, not hide it under layers.
- sporty, cut-in sleeveless top
- white wide leg (poly blend, silk, soft texture) pant
- chain strap shoulder bag (metallic)
- black frame sunglasses (cat eye would be amazing)
- This is a quick and easy resort-centric look. The top can be a bold color, or stay with the inspiration image and keep it clean/classic with black or navy (huge color call out for Spring by the way; stock up on navy).
- Pear body types: go with a darker color on the pant or keep the white and add some serious embellishment on top to balance things out.
- Apple shapes: the cutting-in at the shoulders is not your best bet. Choose a classic v-neck tee instead to elongate and balance things out.
- crisp white tee
- baby blue, wide leg pant
- ombre lens aviators
- coral sandal
- Mrs. Beckham...she's just so good. This is an easy illustration that less can be more.
- Pear body types: again (broken record) go with a darker color on the pant and add in an embellished top.
- Rectangles: this look is absolutely in your style wheelhouse. Your long lines can pull this off.
- Hourglass shapes: make sure you cinch at the waist and avoid having that extra fabric on top and bottom. The point is to show off the curves, even in a subtle way, so your proportions remain balanced (and fabulous).
- Add a brown tote, yellow satchel, berry-color quilted shoulder bag, or a pop art clutch. Raw edge jewelry would be heaven with this look as well.
want more Weekly Shakes inspiration?
Get your shopping game in check.
The UPDATED Spring 2015 80/20 Shopping Checklist is NOW AVAILABLE!
Get the only shopping list you'll need for the season and create a closet filled with favorites that work for your life/body. Avoid those impulse buys, shop smart, and keep it simple.
**The Shopping Checklist is now available separate from The 30-Day Ultimate Closet Guide!!
Download ($5.99) today, and check off everything on YOUR list for Spring 2015:
Style, with a soul:
Time to take a moment and soak up some quote inspiration...