Some say they are cool, some say they are ugly, I think they are both and I'm re-embracing this cool-gly trend.
I had a brown suede pair back in high school. I remember saving months to buy my first pair of Birkenstocks and I remember how weird they felt on my feet when I first tried them on. They took some breaking in, but once I did break in those puppies, they became a main-stay on my feet every summer.
Cut to juuuuust a few years later and I'm seeing Birks everywhere. From bloggers to glossy mags and everywhere in-between, like it or not, the Birk is back in full effect. It has been for a while actually, I'm just slow on adopting the trend, per the norm. Cue one of the cooler pics I've seen featuring a fresh white pair and the Man Repeller:
I've never been one to buy into what everyone else is wearing...at first.
You won't see me standing in a line that wraps around the corner for the latest iPhone release or the latest H&M collaboration that inevitably hits Ebay seconds after store doors open.
I'm what is known in the industry as a late-adopter. Everyone else can try it first, and then, maybe six months after that, hell, maybe a year after that, I'll dip my toe into what is by that point, no longer a 'trend.' I will feel it out and see if it fits.
A couple of months ago, my flip flops were disintegrating, and I was in the summer sandal market for something a bit more substantial.
I had images of these sandals practically branded into my brain after witnessing (intentionally or unintentionally; it's a hazard of the job) image after selfie after insta-image and one day, after witnessing a friend wearing a pair on a trip to wine country, it finally hit me. I loved them back in the day for a reason and I wanted the Birk back in my life, but this time, with a bit more 'oomph' to them.
Here's the pair I bought. Yes, they are silver, yes I love them, and yes that is the head of a bengal cat (meet Simone):
Here are 10 more styles (and Birkenstock-inspired outfits) I am eyeing when it comes to these slightly polarizing (you either love 'em or hate 'em) sandals:
1. Birkenstock Arizona Soft Footbed (www.6pm.com)
2. Birkenstock Papillio Arizona Platform Slide Sandal (www.urbanoutfitters.com)
3. Birkenstock Monterey Sandals- (www.barneys.com)
4. Birkenstock Arizona Sandals (www.barneys.com)
5. Birkenstock Arizona Sandals (www.barneys.com)
6. Birkenstock Tweed Arizona Double Buckle Sandals-Nude (www.barneys.com)
7. Birkenstock Monterey Double-Strap Sandals (www.barneys.com)
8. Birkenstock Arizona Sandals (www.barneys.com)
AS PROMISED, WAYS TO WEAR THEM:
1. A lightweight black dress and all the right accessories:
2. Top-knot cool with a backpack and long vest:
3. Again with the hat right? Loving it. Here's how to polish up the sandal a bit:
4. Leather motorcycle jacket + black joggers = yes:
5. Easy, breezy, Birkenstock. Wait...
6. Suspended in air with a gray skinny jean and boho everything (it is Free People after all):
7. Mixed prints go casual. Just for fun: imagine this look with a black d'orsay pump. Got it? Totally different right? The shoe changes everything, it's why I start there when I'm getting dressed in the morning. Ok, the last look:
CHECK OUT WHAT ELSE IS UP ON THE STYLESHAKER: